- 1lb cauliflower
- 1lb parsnips
- 1lb carrots
- 1lb potatoes
- Bunch of spring onions chopped
- 2 teaspoons of Marmite (yeast extract – or you can use a stock cube)
- Tablespoon of rolled oats
- Salt and pepper to taste once cooked.
- Parsley (fresh or dried)
- For the pastry
- 8oz wholemeal flour
- 4oz mashed potato
- 3oz margarine
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- couple large pinches of salt
- Dash of water if needed.
- Chop up the vegetables into chunks with those that take longest to cook into smaller pieces.
- Place in pot and bring to simmer with just enough water to reach 3/4 of the way up the veg in the pot.
- Add in Marmite and rolled oats, salt and pepper and cook until tender and most of the water has been absorbed.
- Place mixture in deep pie dish and sprinkle with fresh parsley (or add dry parsley to mixture and mix in)
- Make the pastry by mixing the flour with the baking powder and salt and then rubbing in the margarine.
- Mix the mashed potato in to form a dough and knead (add a little water to the mixture if too dry)
- Roll out to form pie crust and place on top and decorate then brush with milk.
- Place in oven at 200C for 30 minutes or so until top is form and browned.