Plas Newydd, Anglesea

BY CHARLES EVANS Henry William Paget, Earl of Uxbridge, who commanded the Allied Cavalry and lost a leg at Waterloo, was, in recognition, created Marquess of Anglesea and remembered by his family as Uncle One-Leg. About 1810 he had engaged James Wyatt to remodel Plas Newydd, which stands on the Southern shore of the island near the end of the Victoria Bridge and looking across … Continue reading Plas Newydd, Anglesea

Burton Agnes Hall

BY CHARLES EVANS A London architect must have conceived this very remarkable house built by Sir Henry Griffith in 1600-10, for it has little in common with other Yorkshire houses, but is one of the most mature of late Elizabethan designs. Burton Agnes Hall is located in Driffield, Yorkshire. Approached through a gatehouse with four domed turrets, the front is a symmetrical composition contained by … Continue reading Burton Agnes Hall

Gunby Hall

BY CHARLES EVANS ‘A haunt of ancient peace’. But the much-quoted line was written here by Tennyson, whose home, Somersby, is near-by, and may well have been inspired by Gunby, situated in Skegness, Lincolnshire. Sir William Massingberd, of a Saxon family settled hereabouts since the 14th Century, built the hall in 1700. The walled gardens, stable-yard, pigeon house, and other surroundings are as little altered … Continue reading Gunby Hall

Attingham Park

BY CHARLES EVANS Built by Noel Hill, First Lord Berwick, in 1784, from designs by a little-known Scottish architect, George Stewart, with an important picture gallery inserted by Nash in 1807. The park and lake are excellent typical productions of the landscape-architect Humphrey Repton. Attingham Park lies near the village of Atcham, Shropshire. Stewart’s building, with its tall, slender columns and colonnades, well illustrates the … Continue reading Attingham Park

Goodwood House

BY CHARLES EVANS Stag-hunting from which fox-hunting developed, brought Charles, 2nd Duke of Richmond and Lennox, to Chichester and the South Downs around 1720. His father was one of Charles II’s natural sons by Louise de Keroualle, Duchess of Portsmouth. For him Sir William Chambers built a hunting box and the much more magnificent stable quadrangle. About 1800 James Wyatt began adding to the former … Continue reading Goodwood House

Temple Newsam

BY CHARLES EVANS Lord Darnley, afterwards husband of Mary, Queen of Scots, was born at Temple Newsam east of Leeds, Yorkshire – so-called for having originally been a preceptory of the Knights Templar. The oldest part of the present house dates from c.1550, but the house was virtually rebuilt in 1630 by Sir Arthur Ingram. The dignity of the design, simplified from the ornate exuberance of … Continue reading Temple Newsam

Paycockes

BY CHARLES EVANS Industry throve under the Tudors’ new order, but at the expense of the journeymen artisans and the cottage industries. Thomas Paycocke was one of the new capitalist factory owners, and in the Essex village of Coggeshall, facing the street, in around 1500 he built himself this beautiful house of oak and brick. Almost every beam inside and out is enriched with carving. … Continue reading Paycockes