FOR THE TOPPING:
- 1 medium sized butternut squash, peeled and the seeds removed
- 30g butter
- Pinch of ground ginger
FOR THE FILLING:
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 250g lean beef mince
- 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1-2tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 150ml vegetable stock
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- Tabasco, to taste
- Flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Heat the oven to 200°C (gas mark 6).
- For the topping, cut the squash into chunks and spread on a baking tray. Drizzle lightly with oil and roast for about 25 minutes, or until tender. Mash with the butter. Add the ginger and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan over a low heat and fry the garlic, onion, carrots and celery for 7-10 minutes, or until softened. Add the beef and fry until coloured, breaking up any lumps with a fork.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf, stock and rosemary, then bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 4-5 minutes until the liquid has reduced by half.
- Season to taste with a dash of Tabasco and salt and pepper. Stir in the parsley.
- Spoon the beef mixture into a medium pie dish and top with the butternut mash. Bake for 25-30 minutes.