- 4 duck breasts
- 1 tbsp. oil
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 200 ml port
- 2 tbsp redcurrant jelly
- 2 tsp concentrated liquid beef stock
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 200 g seasonal mixed berries
- 1 tsp arrowroot
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/gas mark 7. Coast the duck breasts in the oil and season with salt and pepper. Place a large frying pan over a high heat and lay the duck breasts skin-side down in the hot pan. Fry for two minutes, then turn over and fry for a further two minutes. Transfer the duck to a roasting tin and bake for 10 minutes.
- Bring half the port to the boil in a saucepan and simmer until reduced by half. Add the remaining port, return to the boil, then simmer until reduced by half again. Add the redcurrant jelly and stock and stir until the jelly has melted.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and gradually whisk in the butter a little at a time. Blend the arrowroot with one tablespoon of cold water and add to the saucepan with the berries. Return to the heat and simmer for two minutes until the sauce has thickened and is glossy.
Allow the duck breasts to rest for 10 minutes before slicing, arrange on plate and drizzle with port and berry sauce.