Some tried and tested homemade hand masks to soothe and calm those hands during this COVID19 pandemic. No need to venture out to the shops, just look in your pantry and treat yourself. Hand masks work just like face masks; they sit on your skin, infusing and trapping in moisture and nutrients.
Avocados contain lots of healthy fats and phytonutrients that are incredible for your skin. If you have any over ripe avocados that are past their sell by date in your pantry, definitely use them topically to get all the super-duper benefits that these fruits have to offer.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons plain yogurt
- 10 drops of your favourite essential oil (optional)
- Blend all ingredients together in a food processor or blender.
- Apply to hands, then either wear plastic gloves or place hands in plastic bags to allow the mask to penetrate the skin more effectively. Allow 15 minutes for full effect then rinse with warm water and apply hand cream of choice.
Coconut oil can provide relief from dry or cracked skin, it can reduce inflammation and keep hands moisturised. The medium-chain fatty acids found in coconut oil also possess antimicrobial properties that can help protect the skin from harmful bacteria.
- Organic Coconut oil
- Rub 1 teaspoon of oil into hands and cuticles.
- Wrap each hand in a small towel and allow the oil to penetrate for at least 5 minutes.
- Wipe the excess oil off hands, but don’t rinse them; any remaining oil will be absorbed over the next few minutes. Follow with a rich hand cream.
Oatmeal is renowned for its ability to heal and soothe dry, sensitive skin. Its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties help to treat dry skin and remove dead skin cells. This oatmeal hand mask combined with honey and olive oil will truly spoil and soothe your hands.
- 1 cup of ground rolled oats
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup of honey
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- Pour all ingredients into a mixing bowl and combine with a wooden spoon until a thick gooey consistency.
- Apply mixture all over hands and place hands in plastic bags for approximately 30 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water and apply hand moisturiser of choice.
Potatoes make for a great anti-aging, calming, tightening and brightening skin treatment. If you have tired or ageing hands this potato mask will make an excellent treatment.
2 to 3 boiled potatoes
- Mash the boiled potatoes thoroughly and add milk to form a paste.
- Apply the warm mixture on your hands and leave them on until they cool.
- Wash them off and apply your favourite hand cream or lotion.
Carrots are chock full of vitamins, nutrients and carotene, which help fight off damaging free radicals, help keep skin looking young and nourish the skin. This mask also contains hydrating olive oil and sour cream to brighten dull skin.
- 1 carrot
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Grate the carrot and add the sour cream and olive oil.
- Mix the ingredients and apply to your hands for 20 minutes, then rinse off.