- 5 egg whites
- 5 egg yolks plus 1 whole egg
- 60g melted butter, cooled to room temperature
- 100ml milk
- 60g plain flour
- 20g corn flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 90g caster sugar
- Whisk the egg whites on a medium speed until foamy then gradually add the sugar and continue to whisk on high speed until the mixture resembles a fluffy cloud and stands up in stiff peaks.
- Mix together the butter and milk. Sift the flour, cornflour and salt into the milk mixture then add the egg yolks plus whole egg. Beat until it resembles a batter mixture.
- Gradually fold in the egg whites (meringue) into the batter mixture then pour the mixture into a 7-inch lined cake tin.
- Place the cake tin into a bigger baking tray filled with 3cm depth of boiling water to steam bake the cake in the oven for an hour or until fully cooked on Gas 2 / 150°C / 300°F
- Once cooked, bang the cake tin a few times on the work surface to prevent the cake from shrinking, allow to cool then slice and enjoy it.