- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 6 Tesco Finest British pork sausages, skins removed
- 1 tbsp English mustard
- 4 rashers streaky bacon, finely chopped
- 1 x 320g sheet ready rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- ketchup, to serve (optional)
- crushed chillies, to serve (optional)
- Heat the oil in a frying pan set over a medium heat then cook the onion for 8-10 mins until softened. Transfer to a large bowl and leave to cool.
- Add the sausage meat, mustard and bacon to the bowl with the onions and mix together. Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C.
- Unroll the pastry and cut in half lengthways to make 2 long strips. Halve the sausage mix and lay each half along the long edge of one of the pastry strips in a thin sausage shape.
- Tightly roll up the meat in the pastry, finishing with the join underneath. Press lightly to seal the join. Brush all over with the egg and sprinkle with the sesame seeds. Cut each roll into 4.
- Space the rolls out on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 30-35 mins, until golden, crispy and cooked through. Serve with ketchup mixed with crushed chillies, if you like.
Delicious spins on the sausage roll recipe:
- Fresh and zesty: Mix sausage meat with chopped pancetta, crushed fennel seeds, lemon zest and freshly ground black pepper. Sprinkle with a few fennel seeds before baking.
- Fragrant and herby: Add fresh thyme leaves, chopped fresh sage and a grating of nutmeg to the sausage mixture.
- Spicy and smoky: Fry chopped red onion and garlic over a low heat. Mix half the sausage meat with the same weight of chopped, skinless cooking chorizo sausages, chopped parsley and smoked paprika. Sprinkle with smoked paprika before baking.
Courtesy of Tescos Realfood.