Ingredients for Beef Wellington (serves 4):
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, chopped very, very finely
- 25g porcini mushrooms, rehydrated
- 2 shallots
- 100ml dry white wine
- 60g prosciutto
- 100g pork liver pâté, optional
- 700g beef fillet – middle cut
- 300g ready-made puff
- Pastry sheet
- 1 egg, beaten
Instructions to make Beef Wellington:
- Season the beef with salt and black pepper. Fry for a few minutes until evenly browned on the outside. Fry the mushrooms and shallots in 2tbsp butter. When cooked, add the wine and reduce so the mushrooms don’t have excess moisture.
- Lay a sheet of cling film on a clean surface. Layer the prosciutto slices in a row across the film so they form a rectangle big enough to be rolled around the beef. Spread a thin layer of the pâté over. Next, spread over the cooled mushroom mix and flatten. Then place the fillet down the middle. Using the clingfilm, roll up the prosciutto and mushrooms to encase the beef, roll tight and pop it in the fridge.
- Dust your work surface with a little flour. Roll out a third of your pastry into a rectangle. Unwrap the fillet and place it on the pastry. Roll out the other two thirds into a rectangle. Place over the top and sides. Tuck the edges underneath. Trim any excess pastry. Press the edges down firmly with a fork. Using a pastry brush, glaze the pastry with the egg wash. Put in the fridge overnight or for at least 30mins.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C. Bake on a well-greased baking tray for 25mins. Leave to rest for 10mins before eating.