BY RUCHIRA GHOSH
- 1 medium sized cauliflower
- 100 gms shelled peas.
- 1 large potato diced
- Bay leaf 1 or 2
- green cardamom 3
- cloves 3
- cinnamon sticks 1 or 2 small
- cooking oil 3/4 tbsps
- cumin seeds ½ tsp
- turmeric one pinch, salt to taste
- Fresh Parsley /cilantro 1 tsp
- To ensure fine cooking, steam all the vegetables for minute or two
- Take off the heat, drain and set aside
- Now heat the cooking oil in a pan
- Add cumin seeds
- When they begin to splutter, add the remaining spices
- Next add all the vegetables
- Add salt and turmeric powder
- Keep stirring, sprinkling water occasionally.
- Continue til the veggies and spices are uniformly blended, and a warm spicy aroma emanates
- Garnish with parsley
- Goes well with steamed rice or Indian chapattis (unleavened bread)
New Delhi-based Ruchira Adhikari Ghosh hails from a family steeped in English literature. She grew up on a diet enriched with Hans Anderson’s Fairy tales, Grimm’s Fairy tales, besides Enid Blyton’s works. An English (Hons) graduate from Panjab University Chandigarh, she also holds a Master’s degree in English Literature from the same varsity. A professional journalist, she has regularly contributed to noted dailies viz Times of India, Hindustan Times, The Pioneer, beside upmarket journals like Society and Savvy. She writes simply to give vent to her vibrant imagination and her tumult of emotions.