- 1 & 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (you can buy canned from the supermarket or, preferably, puree it yourself…see further instructions below Method)
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cloves, and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, brown sugar, milk, and egg whites with a spatula or whisk. Add in the canned pumpkin and mix together well.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture, stirring until everything is combined.
- Spray a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the bread to cool in the pan before removing, slice and serve.
- Preheat oven to 160 C / Gas mark 3.
- Cut the pumpkin in half, stem to base. Remove seeds and pulp. Cover each half with aluminium foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven foil side up 1 hour or until tender.
- Scrape pumpkin flesh from shell and purée in a blender or food processor. Store in the freezer in freezer bags.