- 1 squirrel (once skinned, slow cook in water on high for around 4 hours, by which time the meat falls off the bone. Let cool before stripping the meat from the bones.
- ½ bulb garlic peeled but cloves left whole
- 1 onion diced
- 3 savoy cabbage leaves chopped. Add any veggies you have available
- Various root vegetables for the mash I used potato, sweet potato, carrot, swede and parsnip
- Butter for the mash
- Chop the root vegetables and boil then mash with the butter.
- Fry the onion until it has a little colour. Add a ladle at a time of the water the squirrel was cooked in, letting it reduce before adding the next. Add the cabbage with the last ladle of stock. Simmer down a little and add gravy powder/cornflour to thicken it.
- Mix the cooked squirrel meat with the onion and cabbage gravy and tip into a casserole dish or individual pie dish. Top with the root mash and bake until the top is golden brown.