- 225g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 450g Bramley apples
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 225g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 225g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 25g ground almonds
- 1 tbsp demerara sugar
- Icing sugar for dredging
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Grease a deep 23-24cm springform cake tin and line with baking paper. Peel, core and cut the apples into 1cm pieces, and toss with the lemon juice.
- Using an electric hand whisk, cream together the butter, caster sugar and lemon zest in a bowl until pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time, adding a little flour with each addition to keep the mixture smooth.
- Sift the remaining flour and the baking powder into the bowl and fold in with the ground almonds. Drain the apple pieces well, then stir into the mixture.
- Spoon into the prepared cake tin, lightly level the top and sprinkle with the demerara sugar. Bake in the oven for 1 hour or until well-risen, brown and a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. If the cake starts to look a little too brown, cover with a sheet of baking paper after about 45 minutes.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Remove the cake from the tin and place on a serving plate. Dredge heavily with icing sugar. Cut the cake and serve warm with a spoonful of clotted cream, if you like.