- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ tbsp milk
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 35g plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp neutral oil (vegetable)
- Whipped cream
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- Fresh berries
- Maple syrup
- You will need a large non-stick frying pan with a lid, approx. 12 inch or large enough to fit three to four pancakes.
- Separate the egg whites and egg yolks into two separate bowls then place the egg whites in the freezer for 15mins.
- Meanwhile add the milk and vanilla extract to the egg yolks and whisk until thick and frothy. Set aside.
- Take the egg whites out of the freezer and whisk until frothy then gradually add the sugar and continue to whisk until stiff peaks form.
- Heat the frying pan on a low setting, brush with oil and use kitchen paper to wipe away any excess oil, keep the frying pan on low heat and leave.
- Add half of the egg whites and fold into the egg mixture with the whisk, without breaking the air bubbles in the egg whites. Continue until all the egg whites have been folded into the egg mixture.
- Place 3 to 4 oiled crumpet or egg rings onto the frying pan and scoop the pancake mixture into the rings. Add a splash of water into the frying pan and cover with lid, cook for approximately 5mins on a low heat.
- After approximately 5 mins check the pancakes, you should be able to gently lift with a spatula. Turn them over and cook for a further 4mins adding a drop of water in the pan and cover with lid.
- Once the pancakes are cooked to a nice golden-brown colour, transfer to a plate. Sprinkle with icing sugar, drizzle some maple syrup and add some whipped cream and fresh fruit or berries.