Ingredients for Rhubarb Gin:
- 1 x 400g bag of rhubarb (chopped and trimmed to make around 340g)
- 50g sugar
- 70cl of gin (nothing fancy required – the value range will do nicely!)
- A splash of lemon juice
- Simple syrup of 2 parts sugar to 1 part water (here around 70g sugar/35ml water)
- Large jar/bottle with a lid you can seal firmly
How to Make Rhubarb Gin:
- Chop the rhubarb (removing the tops and tails) into 1-2 inch pieces and throw it all in the jar. You want the pinkest rhubarb you can get – discard the green.
- Add the sugar (omit the simple sugar syrup for the meantime) and the lemon juice, then give everything a good shake.
- Add your gin to the jar and, once again, give everything a shake. Don’t worry if your sugar settles at the bottom. This will dissolve in time. Place your mix in a dark place and shake every other day for at least 2 weeks. Over this time, the sugar will dissolve and your mix will become pinker and tastier by the day.
- When the time is up, strain your mix through a sieve or coffee filter and then sweeten with your simple syrup to taste. Once it’s just right, you can bottle it up.