Ingredients for Rabbit Rolls:
- 200g rabbit mince
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp bread crumbs
- 1 tsp hot English mustard
- ¼ tsp dried sage
- A pinch of nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 packet store bought puff pastry
- A fistful of baby spinach leaves, washed and dried thoroughly
- 1 extra egg
Instructions for Making Rabbit Rolls:
- Pre-heat oven to 190 degrees on the fan setting.
- Combine all ingredients except spinach & puff pastry and mix well.
- Allow to stand for at least 5 minutes.
- Roll out your puff pastry and place your spinach over the top two thirds, overlapping each leaf.
- Use the extra egg wash and brush the exposed pastry.
- Now place your rabbit mince mixture down the middle, leaving around 4cm at the ends.
- Gently roll the pastry over the rabbit mixture from the top, ensuring that the rabbit mixture is completely covered in the spinach leaves, and the pastry comes into contact with the other end.
- Use your fingers to enclose the pastry, pressing the top bit of pastry into the bottom to ensure a good seal.
- Now crimp the pastry on either end using a fork.
- You should now have a perfect looking sausage roll.
- Brush the pastry in your remaining egg wash and pop into a pre-heated oven for around 50 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown.
- Serve with a big salad and mustard on the side.