- 1.3kg piece of pork belly, skin on
- 1 1/2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp white vinegar (helps conduct heat evenly)
- 200 g rock salt
- 6 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- Using a sharp metal skewer or another tool prick holes all over the skin. Take care not to prick holes into the flesh as the juices will run during cooking and dry the pork.
- Rub the flesh all over (not skin) with Chinese cooking wine, five spice powder, salt and pepper.
- Place in container skin side up and leave overnight in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to Gas 7/220c/425f and remove pork from fridge.
- Brush skin with vinegar and spread rock salt on the skin.
- Lay the pork on a rack over a roasting tin, skin side up. Roast for 10 mins then turn down the heat to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4 and cook for a further 1½ hrs. Have a look at the pork – if the skin isn’t crisp, turn up the heat to Gas 7/220C/425F and cook for another 20 mins until crisp. Leave to rest for 10 mins.
- Make the dipping sauce, mix the soy sauce, grated ginger and sweet chili sauce together. Serve the pork in bite sized pieces with freshly steamed rice and vegetables.