- 2 red onions, chopped
- 30g shitake mushrooms
- 50g dice pancetta bacon
- 300ml Port
- 500ml chicken stock
- 400g Beluga lentils
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leave
- 1 chicken, backbone removed and halved
- 50ml olive oil
- Sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 200°C/390°F/gas mark 6.
- Add chopped onions to a large roasting pan. Sprinkle over the sliced shitake mushrooms and chopped pancetta bacon – fry for 2 to 3 mins.
- Pour over the Port and chicken stock and add the Beluga lentils, rosemary, thyme and bay leave – stir well.
- Place the halved chicken on top and then pour over the olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Roast for 1 hour or until the juices of the chicken run clear.
- Carve the chicken and divide the lentils between plates. Serve immediately with fresh crusty bread.