276g pack of Sausages, sliced on an angle approximately 1-2cm thick
2 tbsp vegetable oil
3 leeks, trimmed, cleaned and finely sliced
1 carrot, peeled and cut into small dice (1/2cm)
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
3 tbsp plain flour
400ml dry cider
1 vegetable stock cube
150ml single cream
1 tsp black pepper
Salt to taste
200g savoury cheese crumble (see recipe below)
For the Cheese Crumble:
125g plain flour sieved
30g butter, cut into small cubes
50g grated cheese such as mature Cheddar
25g pumpkin seeds
1 tbsp parsley, chopped (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
2. Heat the oil in a large pan and gently fry the leeks until softened. Add the sliced sausage, carrot, mustard, and flour. Fry gently for 1-2 minutes.
3. Add the cider stirring continuously. Bring to the boil stirring well then reduce the heat, stir in the cream, crumble in the stock cube and simmer for 5 minutes until thickened.
4. Pour into a casserole dish.
5. To make the cheese crumble, rub the butter into the flour until a breadcrumb texture is formed. Stir in the cheese and half of the pumpkin seeds.
6. Sprinkle the crumb over the sauce and cook for 40 minutes, remove from the oven and scatter the remaining seeds over the top of the crumble. Cook for a further 5 minutes until the crumb is golden brown. For a more golden crumb, place under a hot, preheated grill for 2-3 minutes. Garnish with the parsley.