- 180g plain flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 100g icing sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 120g ground almond
- 130ml groundnut oil/corn oil or vegetable oil (use oil that is neutral)
- 1 egg yolk + 1 teaspoon water (beat together to make egg wash)
- Almonds to decorate (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degree/350f/Gas 4
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, baking soda, icing sugar, salt and ground almond into a mixing bowl
- Pour the groundnut oil into the mixture and stir until it resembles cookie dough
- Roll the dough with your hands into approximately 3cm balls, place on baking sheets until all the dough is used up.
- Using the back of a tablespoon gently pat each dough ball down a little to make a round (not too thin)
- Place an almond in the centre if using or stencil in a shape or leave plain
- Lightly glaze the surface of each dough ball with the egg wash
- Bake in oven for 15-20mins or until the cookies are slightly golden
- Cool on a wire rack. Enjoy the cookies crumbling in your mouth when you bite into them!
恭喜發財! Kung Hei Fat Choi! A Prosperous Chinese New Year!