Makes 1 loaf
- 1 large onion, chopped or thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 500g strong flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 25 g fresh yeast
- 1 bunch spring onion leaves, finely chopped
- 320 ml warm water
- Rosemary (optional)
- In a frying pan heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion until soft and caramelised. Season with salt and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix flour with spring leaves.
- Dissolve the fresh yeast with salt and (80 ml) water and add to the flour mixture. Add the rest (240 ml) water, mix everything together then add caramelised onion (save a little to place on top later) and knead until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Cover it and let it sit for about 1 hour at room temperature to rise until doubled in size.
- On a floured surface roll the dough into a round cake tin (approx. 8 inch) or place into a loaf tin (approx. 6×10 inch) and leave to rise again for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle salt, rosemary and remaining caramelised onions on top.
- Preheat oven to Gas 8/470F/240C. Place a small pot with water at the base of the oven to create steam. Bake for 15 minutes with steam then remove the pot with water from the oven. Reduce oven temperature to Gas 7/450F/230C and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
- Cool on the bread on a wire rack before serving.