Ingredients for Countryside Carrot Cake:
- 150g Butter
- 150g Light muscovado sugar
- 3 Large eggs
- ½ tsp Vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 orange, finely grated
- 200g Plain flour
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 3⁄4 tsp Baking powder
- 3⁄4 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp Ground cinnamon
- 225g Carrot, grated
- 50g Ground almonds
Instructions for making Countryside Carrot Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/fan oven 150°C/Gas Mark 3. Grease a 900g (2lb) loaf tin with a little butter, then line with baking paper or grease-proof paper.
- Put the butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract and orange zest into a large mixing bowl. Sift in the flour, salt, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon. Use a wooden spoon to beat the mixture together until smooth and creamy — this will only take 1-2 minutes.
- Add the grated carrot and almonds and fold them into the mixture with a large metal spoon. Transfer the mixture to the prepared tin and level the surface.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 1 hour, or until a fine skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, beat the butter and sugar together until light and creamy. Add the cream cheese and beat it in thoroughly. Spread over the top of the cake and sprinkle the orange zest on top.