For British Egg Week (8-14 October 2018)
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion halved and thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper seeded and thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- ⅛ tsp cayenne, or to taste
- 400g tin whole plum tomatoes with juices, coarsely chopped
- ¾ tsp salt, more as needed
- ¼ tsp black pepper, more as needed
- 125g feta cheese, crumbled
- 6 large eggs
- Chopped coriander to garnish
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-low heat. Add onion and bell pepper. Cook gently until very soft, about 20 minutes. Add garlic and cook until tender, 1 to 2 minutes; stir in cumin, paprika and cayenne, and cook 1 minute. Pour in tomatoes and season with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; simmer until tomatoes have thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir in crumbled feta.
- Gently crack eggs over tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the frying pan to oven and bake until eggs are just set, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chopped coriander and serve with warmed pita bread.