- 125 dry rice noodles
- 1 tablespoon coconut or olive oil
- 1 large shallot finely diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped or grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-3 tablespoons Thai Red Curry Paste (store bought)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric – optional
- pinch cardamom- optional
- 400ml can coconut milk
- 250ml chicken broth (or use water and one chicken stock cube)
- 1 thinly sliced red bell pepper (optional can sub other veggies)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2– 2 ½ tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce
- 230 raw, peeled and deveined prawns (or pan-seared cubes of tofu, or very thinly sliced raw chicken or leftover roast chicken)
- 1 lime
- Garnish with fresh basil, bean sprouts, scallions, or thinly sliced red onions
- Place noodles in a shallow baking dish and boil enough water to just cover them. While water is boiling, prep the shallots, ginger, garlic, red bell pepper, then get all other ingredients ready by the stove.
- In a medium pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add shallots and ginger. Sauté until fragrant and golden, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and red curry paste. Fry for 1-2 minutes. Add the coconut milk and broth and bring to a simmer, stirring. Once gently simmering add the bell pepper, soy, fish sauce, sugar and chili garlic sauce.
- Add the prawns and gently simmer until cooked. Give a generous squeeze of lime. Taste, adding more lime / or salt if necessary.
- Drain the noodles. If serving the soup immediately, toss the noodles right into the pot and then serve. Alternatively, divide noodles into the bowls and spoon the soup over top.
- Garnish with fresh basil, bean sprouts, thinly sliced red onion or chopped scallions.