Ingredients for Bubble & Squeak Welsh Lamb:
- 1 double rack of lamb ‘French’ trimmed – fat removed and bones cleaned
- (your butcher will do this if you ask nicely)
- 1 tablespoon Welsh grain mustard
- 25g (1oz) fresh dried breadcrumbs
- Chopped fresh herbs – rosemary, thyme, lavender etc
- Half pint lamb stock – made from bones & trim from the rack
- 1 glass full bodied red wine
- 6 potatoes for mashing – King Edward is ideal
- 6 leaves of Savoy cabbage
- 1 small onion
- 12 small shallots
- Knob of Welsh butter
- Dash of olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 sprigs of rosemary to garnish
Instructions for Cooking Bubble & Squeak Welsh Lamb:
- Make mash by boiling peeled potatoes for 20 minutes, drain and mash until light and fluffy.
- Slice cabbage and boil for 2 minutes, cool and squeeze dry.
- Peel and finely dice onion, sauté in a small knob of butter. When cool mix the potatoes, cabbage and onion together with seasoning and form into ‘cakes’ ready to pan-fry later.
- Coat the trimmed racks – cut into 4 portions – with the mustard and seasoning, then cover with the herbs and breadcrumbs which have been mixed together. Place in a roasting tray, drizzle with olive oil and roast in a hot oven for 12 to 15 minutes for medium or 20 minutes plus for medium to well done.
- While racks are roasting reduce the red wine and stock by half, remove lamb and let rest for 2-3 minutes in a warm place, add any juices from roasting tray to the jus and pass into another pan adding a small knob of butter to give a shine to the jus.
- While the racks are roasting, also pan fry the bubble & squeak for 2-3 minutes on each side, poach the peeled shallots in a dash of seasoned water with a small knob of butter for 8-10 minutes.
- To assemble the dish place a bubble & squeak cake in centre of plate, carve the lamb into three cutlets and arrange around the cake with the glazed shallots, pour over the jus and garnish with the rosemary.